Ionel JIAN awarded Professor Emeritus
for his remarkable didactic, scientific and management results, as well as his contributions to the development of the Department of Computer and Information Technology and of the Politehnica University of Timisoara, throughout over 48 years of activity.
Professor Dr. Eng. Ionel Jian (b. 1947) is conducting a remarkable academic and scientific activity, for over 48 years, at the Politehnica University of Timisoara, Department of Computer and Information Technology, as one of the contributing members of the first department and the first university-level study program in computing in Romania.
Along his academic career he published, at national and international level, over 4 books and book chapters, 5 handbooks, 4 electronic books, numerous scientific papers in journals and at scientific conferences, as well as 5 courses in the field of computer and software engineering, with special focus on database systems and assembly languages. He is a PhD supervisor in Computer and Information Technology since 1997, coordinating the successful development of 8 doctoral programs.
Together with professor Alexandru Rogojan, he managed the construction of the Computing Center of the Polytechnic Institute (1975), which he further coordinated as a Director (1988-1991). In this period, professor Jian was head of a team of 18 persons working in two shifts to support and operate the Computing Center, as well as a research and development team of 16 specialists.
For 20 years, professor Jian was a manager of labs infrastructure at our department. He coordinated the full renovation and equipment upgrading of 3 laboratories. He has also participated at the successful execution of several large research and development projects in the field:
- Implementation of a process computer for electric battery testing, as a contract with the batteries factory Elba Timisoara (1978-1981);
- Design and implementation of a robot, "REMT", operating in polar coordinates to support two lathe and two milling machines which produced the axles (20-60 kg) of large electric motors for the Electromotor Timisoara factory, as part of a design and research program for industrial robots (1979). In 1984, the research team received the "Traian Vuia" Prize of the Romanian Academy for the "results obtained in the design and research of industrial robots".
Also, professor Jian is, or was, a member in a significant number of scientific and professional committees, which prove both the national and international levels of visibility and recognition of his activity:
- Professional member of the ACM;
- Member of the IEEE;
- Member of the Oracle Academy, since 1997. In 2018 he received the Plaque "Oracle Academy – Member Institution" for the Politehnica University of Timişoara;
- Expert of the UEFISCSU - Ministry of Education, for the implementation of the "Unique Scholar ID Register" in the Romanian universities;
- Expert of the FARE R009 project, "University Management Computerization" (1998-2003);
- Expert member of the FP6 project.89/2006-2008, "Greenergy Corint Investment Decision Tool";
- Expert member of the Committee for computing infrastructure of the Politehnica University of Timisoara and the respective equipment acquisition procedure boards, for 12 years;
- "Traian Vuia" Prize of the Romanian Academy for the "results obtained in the design and research of industrial robots", 1984.